The Mindful Energy/Protein Bar
When it comes to selecting the right energy bar in today’s ever changing natural foods arena, it can be a bit overwhelming and downright confusing reading and analyzing all the labels. Trust me, been there and done that. It’s exhausting!
I’m here to share information about a product that is altogether different than what you might expect from your typical mainstream energy bar. Consumers are looking for more nutritious versions of the protein bar. A few companies are displaying a style of energy bar philosophy not commonly seen in the natural foods industry.
What makes energy bars convenient is being able to travel with them on the go or when you are pressed for time and don’t have the time to cook. If there is one thing to realize is that most energy/protein bars on the market are chock full of processed sugars and highly processed allergenic proteins like soy and whey. Some bars are fortified with synthetic vitamins and minerals, which the body may have a hard time recognizing and utilizing effectively.
Among the biggest frustrations I have is that most of the bars have too high a percentage of processed sugars and carbohydrates. As we all know constantly ingesting energy bars high in these sugars and carbohydrates sets the tone for blood sugar swings and the need to snack all day long. What if there was another option that burns clean, keeps you in a fat burning state, and nourishes the brain, skin, joints and the gut flora? After doing much research and trying all kinds of energy bars on the market, both good and bad, I recently found this whole food based energy/protein bar called the “BioHacker Bar” from a friend of mine in the Paleo/low carb community. I knew there was a lot going for this bar. So I had to try one and see for myself.
The focus of this whole food protein bar is around healthy fats, skin beautifying ingredients and highly digestible protein. In addition, it keeps the total carbohydrate count low, which is great! Let’s look at what this bar consists of:
• Chicory Root Fiber: A vegetable that contains inulin. Inulin is a solid source of soluble fiber. Soluble fiber is a type of fiber that nourishes the good bacteria in your gut. This is a classic fiber you will find in many good quality energy/protein bars.
• Collagen: Consists of vital amino acids that are related to muscle and joint repair, detoxification and encouraging youthful plump skin. Collagen is something that many people don’t get in today’s culture unless they consume bone broth, which is making a comeback!
• Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT): A wonderful quick source of usable energy that the liver metabolizes in the way it would glucose- thus, making it a readily available fuel source for the mind and body. It is also great for boosting metabolism and providing ketones for the brain. MCT oil is a perfect addition to your morning cup of coffee to give you the mental clarity and focus along with providing ketones for the brain.
• Coconut Oil: Famous for its interesting fatty acids like lauric, caprylic and capric acid. It is known to exhibit anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. Coconut oil is high in saturated fats, which have been shown to reduce belly fat and nourish the skin. It is a highly prized fat in the Philippines. Interesting enough, this culture consumes tons of coconuts and is among one of the healthiest cultures in the world. Cool stuff!
• Sunflower seed butter: This seed butter is not really talked about a lot. Seems all the praise goes to almond and peanut butter. Seeds have their place too. This seed butter is loaded with Vitamin E, B vitamins and other trace minerals like zinc, magnesium and selenium. While most nut and seed butters have a similar nutritional profile, it’s nice seeing an energy bar incorporating ingredients not used very often.
• Blueberry powder: Famous for it’s phytochemical compound called anthocyanins, which help lower oxidize stress from our everyday lives. Another plus side is that blueberries are a low sugar fruit. Blueberries are nourishing to the brain and eyes especially as research shows that blueberry consumption may potentially slow or prevent cognitive decline as one gets older. Blueberries hold lots of promise in the Alzheimer’s and dementia fields.
• Cacao nibs: is chocolate in its purest raw form. Solid source of anti-oxidants, iron, magnesium and fiber. Contains a powerful compound called PEA, which lifts mood. PEA stands for Phenylethylamine. The only other food on the planet that contains this compound is blue green algae. Cacao can also act as an ergogenic aid, which boosts exercise performance.
• Himalayan Pink Salt: Chock full of trace minerals that support kidney, cardiovascular and adrenal health. Our high stress lifestyle depletes us of many minerals. It is even more vital to increase the trace minerals and a great place to start is with Himalayan pink salt.
• Nutrition Content: contains 170 calories with 90 calories coming from fat, 19 grams of carbohydrates and 13 grams of protein. Even more impressive is a hefty dose of 15 grams of fiber! Most importantly of all, it contains only 3 grams of sugar. Stamp of approval right there!
So now that you have a better grasp of the purpose and synergy of each ingredient, let’s move onto the main and most important factor of this BioHacker Bar, which is… “How does it taste??”
This bar tastes great! You really get the taste of the sunflower seed butter, which is unique, because I feel most bars either go for almond, peanut or cashew butter, which is totally cool, but I like when things are different. You also experience the berry-like flavor from the blueberry powder. You get the richness and crunchiness of the coconut and cacao nibs. The cacao nibs provide that bitter chocolate flavor. What I like about these bars is that it tastes like you just made your own made energy bar right there on the spot. You truly get a get sense of all the ingredients, which is refreshing. Since I feel like all the energy/ proteins bars on the market are essentially candy bars, then this bar is far from it.
I can’t recommend this BioHacker Bar enough! What’s not to love about a whole food energy bar that keeps you in an optimal fat burning state, keeps your brain sharp and your joints primed and ready for anything? Best of all is that all the ingredients are fully recognizable, pronounceable and have a purpose! If you would like to support her new business journey by getting a low carb energy/protein bar into future grocery stores, use the link below to get your BioHacker Bar!
***It’s people like creator of the BioHacker bar that are the future of where the food industry is headed. We need more businesses spreading the word and shifting the paradigm.***
- 25 Aug 2015
- Optimized Nutrition